Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My views on technologies

I see a lot of potential in finally figuring out how to use some of these technologies that I've been afraid of for so long-- blogs, webpages, etc. After thinking more seriously about why I would or wouldn't include in my writing classes, and after reading more about what technology is, who resists it and why--things of that nature--, it now seems to me that I cannot ingore any potential uses for technological writing in my composition classes. This doesn't mean that I will automatically include every single type of electronic writing I hear about, certainly not; but more like the process Radder describes, I must think more deeply and critically about why or why not to use new technologies in the teaching of such and "old" set of skills. I can't say right now what changes I will make-- not only for my own classes but in terms of strong recommendations for the adjuncts I will hire for the fall-- I can't say with certainty what or how I will use the multitude of technologies out there. But I know that changes will be made. I have the good fortune to have as my predecessor one Rich Murphy, a man who fought tirelessly to get all of the Critical Inquiry (our English comp class) sections housed in computerized classrooms-- where every student has a computer. It took me several semesters to get used to this, and some of the part time faculty have said they would prefer to be in a more old-fashioned type of room. But being 'forced' into this situation now -- the admin won't switch it back!-- I see a great fortuity and opportunity to try some new and exciting ideas out in the fall.

Sorry for the long paragraph.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I like your idea that you don't have to include EVERY type of technology. I think we must consider how valuable the new technology is within our course, and when it is ok to stick with the pencil.